Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Megan Mondays | The Value of Family Portraits


Guest Post by | Huong Forrest of Design by Huong Forrest Photography


As a photographer, I stress to my clients the value of capturing the moments in life that all too quickly pass. As a mother of two young boys, I constantly strive to do the same, whether it’s with my DSLR, point and shoot, or iPhoneography. I don’t know how other parents feel, although I have a pretty good idea, but I cannot stand how much my boys grow and change with each day. While I love observing their new discoveries and growth, a part of me just dies knowing my babies are no longer babies and with each day, a new level of growing up is present.

I think we all have great intentions of documenting every moment when we become a parent for the first time. Then life happens and we find we pick up the camera less and less somehow. Then maybe the second child comes along and we promise to make it up by taking more photos and videos. We all know how that ends right? Life happens and we shouldn’t leave our memories to chance.

I leave it to another professional to take my family’s portraits and we do so about every 18 months. I think I do a pretty great job at photographing my own family, but then I’m not in any of those portraits and I don’t want to be remembered by my family as the woman behind the camera for these special keepsakes. I personally love the 18-months time span as it allows us to take advantage of more than one season and it’s just enough for me to order large canvases of my family to grace our walls and let those who come to our home see the changes in our family with each set of portraits.

I love looking around my home and seeing our memories on the walls and in frames and being surrounded by happy moments, life and love. When someone walks into my home, they immediately know my family is my pride and joy and how much I value not only photography, but my family portraits. As my babies grow, I’ll be able to look at a particular photo from a certain moment and remember them exactly as they were on that day, in that moment. I know with every single day, they are different; an experience changes how they view the world, they discover something new, or they learn they can get away with doing something I don’t approve of. Time may and will change my babies, my family and myself, but having our family portraits professionally documented every year or so will allow me to forever keep those memories not only in my heart and soul, but also on my walls as a visual reminder of who they are in those moments of life.


Meet Huong and her family

Photo Credits to Eden Rose Photography

Comments
9 Responses to “Megan Mondays | The Value of Family Portraits”
  1. This is such a great post. I know that I keep hounding my husband to have portraits made together. All we have now is just a bunch of snapshots, which is fine but it's not as special as a real portrait.

  2. EEEKS! Thank you, Megan!

  3. Love that you added the black and white photo in the mix ... really makes you see just how quickly our kiddos grow!

  4. My family and I finally had our pictures taken together last fall. We're so happy we did it, but disappointed we waited so long. These are wonderful images of your family.

  5. So fun to see Huong guest posting!

  6. Audrey says:

    Such a great reminder of the importance of photos! We get one taken every fall so we have a Christmas Card photo to send out :)

  7. Brian says:

    great shots and words

  8. lori says:

    Beautiful photos (ie; memories!). Very wise advice!

Megan Quigley. Powered by Blogger.